Phillack Celtic Runestone, Cornwall (c 500 BCE)
Earliest Natively Written Text in Britain Showing Celtic Britain was literate. For translation methodology see: How to Translate Alphabetic Akkadian Texts
Runestone as it Appeared in 2021 Outside Old Church Vestry at Phillack in Cornwall, Britian
So why is this British national treasure out in the weather getting destroyed? This should be front and center in the British Museum.
Photo by Emma Trevarthen and found at: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1365625
ReferencesChris Bond (2023) Antiquarian Notes on the Prehistory of Cornwall. Cornovia Press, Sheffield
Richard Edmonds (1857-58) The Celtic and Other Antiquities of the Land's End District of Cornwall. Archaeologica Cambrensis 3:3-4, pages 275-295, 350-368, 66-76, 173-183, 274-283
(The above articles were combined into an 1862 book)Richard Edmonds (1862) The Land's End district: its antiquities, natural history, natural phenomena and scenery. Published by J. R. SmithOnline at: https://openlibrary.org/works/OL11647309W/The_Land%27s_End_district_its_antiquities_natural_history_natural_phenomena_and_scenery?edition=key%3A/books/OL23401670M
Phillack Stele as it Appeared in 1890
"An inscribed stone, as old perhaps as the last, formed one of the foundation stones of the late church at Phillack. It is 7 3/4 feet long, and now stands outside the wall of the vestry, in the southeastern corner of the courtyard but the inscription appears to be illegible."
Photo found in Bond (2023)
Uncertain Translation of Phillack Stele of Cornwall, Britain
Translation in Akkadian(read left to right! Capital letters on object. Small letters are inferred Inner vowels) Mix of Etruscan and Aegean Island
- IRu Ne'u Tu MiQi UZu ... (uncertain assignments given poor state of photo and stone)
- (too uncertain to translate)
- Astrological-powers are affecting astrological-magic. Undermine the frustration ...
- (too uncertain to read)
Map of Cornwall, England from Google Maps.
Location of Phillack in Cornwall
Phillack was an ancient Cornwall trading center for tin and a stop for trade going northward into Ireland.