Various Cornish Runestones

This old color photo shows the letters inked in order to highlight them.

Bleu Bridge Stone Near Penzance, Cornwall 500 BCE

(June 14, 2024) This is a scheduled monument which nonetheless is being left to erode away. Past scholarship identifies the words as Latin names and thus Christian which is incorrect. Their letter assignments are even incorrect and apparently unchallenged until now.

The letter style is Mix of Etruscan and Aegean Island (see letter charts). This lineage dates as far back as 500 BCE. The letter style is certainly not Latin.

This is the stone's summary from past scholarship: "The monument includes an early Christian memorial stone situated close to a foot bridge called Bleu Bridge beside the Trevaylor Stream. The memorial stone survives as an earthfast granite pillar up to 1.7m high which is inscribed with 'QVENATAVC - IC DINVI FILIVS'. The first name is Irish and the stone stylistically dates to the 5th to 8th centuries."

Scheduled Date: 30 November 1926, Source ID: 1006727, English Heritage Legacy ID: CO 38


Reference

Ancient Monuments. Online at: https://ancientmonuments.uk/104944-early-christian-memorial-stone-beside-bleu-bridge-penzance

(June 14, 2024) 

Translation of Bleu Bridge Stone Lines 1 and 2 in Akkadian (Rune Text 31)

(read left to right. Capital letters on object. Small letters are inferred Inner vowels. Verbs are italic bold. The colons in the text are word separators) 
  1. RaŠu  Nu A  T [2] (Text 31.1)
  2. Du Nu NaPu Ḫ[1] S (Text 31.2)

(Dual use letters are E/H, I/Y, U/W, and '/A in which vowel appears at beginning of words except for Yahu which is keeping its traditional Hebrew transliteration)

In English

  1. Life-Powers can be revealed by those [1 or 2 words]
  2. Form-Manifestations can be revealed by filtering [2 words]

The Men Scryfa Stone in Madron, Cornwall 400 BCE

Scheduled Date: 30 November 1926, Source ID: 1018573, English Heritage Legacy ID: 31831

Reference

Standing Stones of the Land's End Peninsula by Ian McNeil Cooke (2002/07): Online at: https://www.ancientpenwith.org/menhirs/men-scryfa.html

The Men Scryfa Stone in Madron, Cornwall 400 BCE

This stone is located on the northern side of the west Penwith uplands. It is an upright granite shaft 1.73 meters high with an incised inscription on the north face. The stone measures 0.5 meters wide tapering to 0.26 meters at the top and is 0.3 meters thick. 

A farmer looking for treasure at its base toppled the stone around 1849.

Old scholarship thinks this is the translation:   `RIALOBRANI CVNOVALI'. About 1.09 m of the stone is buried including more letters of the inscription which read they read as `FILI'. 

Reference

Ancient Monuments online at: https://ancientmonuments.uk/116775-the-men-scryfa-an-early-christian-memorial-stone-madron/photos

(June 14, 2024) Letter style is Italian Po Valley (Piacenza Liver) at the beginning of its migration up the European river valleys towards the Nordic lands. This dates it to 400 BCE. Apparently, literate traders and priests were already traveling up those rivers by 500 to 400 BCE.

Translation of Bleu Bridge Stone Lines 1 and 2 in Akkadian (Rune Text 32)

(read left to right. Capital letters on object. Small letters are inferred Inner vowels. Verbs are italic bold. The colons in the text are word separators) 
  1. Su IGu E' SuSu. N ... (Text 32.1)
  2. Bu U  Ḫu’u ... (Text 32.2)

(Dual use letters are E/H, I/Y, U/W, and '/A in which vowel appears at beginning of words except for Yahu which is keeping its traditional Hebrew transliteration)

In English

  1. Su's eyes-of-fate (stars) eat the grass of Yahu. The Form-Revealer (Asher) ... 
  2. Nourishments and astrological-owls ...

Possible Runestone From Cornwall

Located in the churchyard of St Juliot's church, to east of south porch in Lanteglos by Camelford, Cornwall.
First recorded 1858 propping up a barn wall at Lanteglos (Blight 1858, 126), probably same location as in 1870, in farm yard on Castle Gough estate (Polsue 1870, 57), this being 200 metres north-west of the church site. Recorded 1875 in rectory garden, Lanteglos (Rhys 1875, 363); moved to present location in 1900 (Langdon, Arthur 1906, 416) 
https://chacklepie.com/ascorpus/catvol11.php?pageNum_urls=25&totalRows_urls=94

Possible Runestone From Cornwall

The Runic letters on this one are not oriented the same way. Is this a later magical practice of using runes after they were no longer understood as letters?
Grass enclosure, beside unclassified road from Minions to Doublebois, about 1.5 km west of St Cleer, about 1.3 metres (4 feet) from St Cleer 3 
First recorded 1600 in present location (Camden 1600, 155). Despite various vicissitudes (see Okasha 1993, 213), monument has remained there. 
https://chacklepie.com/ascorpus/catvol11.php?pageNum_urls=59&totalRows_urls=94