SG1 Girsu (Tello): Cat-Bird Macehead (2600-2300 BCE)
Cat-Bird Grasping 2 Lions
The head of the cat-bird is directly under text section 10 and 11. This is the Sumerian Motion power connective deity. As such it calls fate and normally keeps everything on time.
Drawing of Top Text
- AN loves the Lady (INANNA),
- Their domain sings-up food.
- Deities are earth-controllers,
- Connections are being fitted by their songs.
- Motion-Powers are making wealthy the earth,
- from milking the wind/spirit powers.
- Heavenly-bodies command the earth,
- Their omens indicate drought.
- The cat-birds issue-orders,
- They are the fate-callers.
- (While) earth-controlling deities are arranging the fabric (life-network),
- take heed of the fabric of the silvery-ones' spiritual-connections
(Jan 7, 2023) Now at the British Museum. Museum number 23287. Acquired in 1897 from a collector who claims it came from Tell Telloh (Ancient Girzu) in southern Iraq. Hole diameter: 2.20 centimeters, Diameter: 11 centimeters, Height: 11.70 centimeters. The Sumerian city of Gizu means "Cow.Wisdom" so it must have been renowned for its large cattle herds.
Online at: https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/W_1897-0514-1
Watch a wonderful unlisted YouTube British Museum Membership video about new excavations at Girsu if you allow marketing cookies at the British Museum site: https://www.britishmuseum.org/membership/events/excavations-girsu
Sumerian (SG 1.1)(verb at end so statement)
- AN NIN
- AN Lady (INANNA)
Sumerian (SG 1.2)
- E2 5 U2.SI
- (Their) Domain food.from_singing for the 5
Sumerian (SG 1.3)(verb in middle so ongoing form)
- EN.AN DU.KI
- Deities are earth.controllers
Sumerian (SG 1.4)(verb in middle so ongoing form)
- PA X24 SI
- Connections are being fitted by the songs
Sumerian (SG 1.5)(verb in middle so ongoing form)
- NA.X22 LA KI
- GA X25
- Motion-Powers (Spiritual-Connections.different) are making wealthy the earth
- by milking the wind
Sumerian (SG 1.6)(verb in middle so ongoing form)
- EZEN A X14
- Feasts are moving-towards fullness
Sumerian (SG 1.7)(verb at end so statement)
- X27 KI X28
- Heavenly-bodies command the earth
Sumerian (SG 1.8)(verb at end so statement)
- SUKKAL LI
- Omens indicate drought
ŠE.ŠA = LI (verb) graneries.empty = drought
Sumerian (SG 1.9)
- X30 X28.TAR
- Cat-Birds issue-orders [command.decision]
Sumerian (SG 1.10)(verb at beginning so imperative)
- LUGAL NI
- They are the fate-callers
Sumerian (SG 1.11)
- EN.AN DU.KI
- MA2 TUG2
- Deities (lord.divine) earth.controlling
- are gathering the fabric (life-network)
Sumerian (SG 1.12)(verb in middle so ongoing form)
- A.MU TUG2 KUG
- Take heed of the fabric of the silvery-ones'